Are you at wits end from sacrificing other expenses to pay your car insurance bill each month? You are no different than millions of other consumers.
Inconceivable but true, most car insurance buyers in Alabama have remained with the same car insurance company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. Drivers in the United States could save nearly $860 each year just by shopping around, but they assume it's a waste of time to find lower-cost car insurance rates.
Big companies like Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance all promote huge savings with advertising and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you're already insured, you will most likely be able to reduce the price you pay using these methods. Locating the best rates in Huntsville is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. Nevertheless, Alabama vehicle owners must learn how insurance companies calculate your auto insurance rates because it varies considerably.
Cheap car insurance companies in Huntsville
The following companies can provide free quotes in Huntsville, AL. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the most affordable rates.
Cheaper rates with these premium slashing discounts
Companies don't necessarily list all possible discounts very well, so here is a list a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Huntsville auto insurance online. If you're not getting every credit available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Telematics Devices - People who choose to allow their auto insurance company to analyze when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Renewal Discounts - Select insurance companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- ABS Braking Discount - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Alabama, follow this link.
Informed drivers save more
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the different types of things that come into play when calculating your premiums. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Pleasure use or commuting - The higher the miles on your car each year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Autos that have low annual miles cost less to insure than those that get driven frequently. It's always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet reflects the correct usage.
- Safer the car lower the rate - Safe vehicles tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
- Get married and get better rates - Walking down the aisle can actually save you money when buying car insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible and it's proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Never allow your car insurance policy to lapse - Going without insurance is a fast way to pay more for car insurance. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in a revoked license or a big fine.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When choosing a policy, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you will benefit from professional help.
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- What is medical payments coverage?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Is my trailer covered?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Local Huntsville auto insurance agents and auto insurance
Some consumers just want to sit down with an agent and that is a smart decision A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from local insurance agents is definitely important in Huntsville.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Huntsville who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact an agency because prices are sent directly to you. Get lower rates and work with a local agent. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures that you can choose from. Auto insurance agencies are classified as either independent or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, the business is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, we highly recommend that you include price quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Huntsville that can possibly get you price quote information.
Exclusive agencies can only place business with one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on what they offer which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are Huntsville exclusive insurance agencies that can give you price quotes.
Picking the best car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- How long has their agency been open in Huntsville?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Who are their largest clients?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
One last note
Lower-priced auto insurance in Huntsville is attainable both online and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers don't offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents.
We covered many tips how you can compare auto insurance prices in Huntsville. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Huntsville auto insurance, the higher your chance of finding low cost Huntsville auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best prices are with a small mutual company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
To read more, take a look at these articles:
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)