Find Cheaper Huntsville Car Insurance Rates
Are you confused by the wide range of car insurance company choices in Huntsville? You have a lot of company. There are so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a real challenge to find the cheapest price on auto insurance.
If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Huntsville is simple if you know the tricks. Consumers can benefit from knowing how insurance companies sell online.
Do you qualify for auto insurance discounts?
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you may find discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Fewer annual miles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Life Insurance - Some companies give a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Paperless Signup - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Require your teen driver to take driver's ed class in high school.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Auto/Home Discount - When you combine your home and auto insurance with one company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Homeowners Pay Less - Owning a home in Huntsville may trigger a car insurance policy discount due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Safe Driver Discount - Safe drivers may save up to 50% more on insurance than their less cautious counterparts.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
It's important to note that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
Some insurance companies that offer discounts on car insurance in Huntsville include:
Many Things Influence Car Insurance Rates
It's important that you understand some of the elements that go into determining car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates - Credit history is a big factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit score is not that good, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by repairing your credit. Alabama drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Adjust deductibles and save - Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. The more money you're willing to pay, the less your car insurance will be on insurance.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates - Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage may earn you a license revocation or jail time.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind - The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
When should you talk to an insurance agent?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Should I buy only the required minimum liability coverage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Is a no-fault state?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- How much liability coverage do I need in my state?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an insurance agent in Huntsville, take a second and complete this form.
Choose the right insurance agent
When finding a good Huntsville insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Huntsville are classified as either captive or independent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you won't have to switch agencies. When comparing rates, we recommend you include multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents write business for a single company like Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. They usually cannot compare other company's rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some people will only buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Choosing an insurance agency requires more thought than just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
Upon getting positive responses to your questions and a good coverage price, you may have just found an insurance agent that will provide car insurance coverage.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
You just read many ideas to save on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better chance you'll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with an unexpected company.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium and even delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, finding new car insurance in Huntsville can be less work than you think.
When shopping online for car insurance, make sure you don't buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
For more information
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Insitute)