Find Cheap Car Insurance Quotes in Mobile
Saving money on Mobile car insurance is always a challenge for Alabama consumers new to buying insurance online. People have so many options available that it can be mind boggling trying to find the lowest rates on insurance.
It's a good habit to do rate comparisons every six months because prices go up and down regularly. Even if you got the best rates for coverage six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding car insurance online but I'm going to show you a bunch of ideas how to find cheap car insurance quotes in Mobile, AL.
Buying car insurance is not rocket science. If you have car insurance now, you will most likely be able to save some money using this information. But drivers must know the way companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Tips to Get Lower Mobile Auto Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The following are a few of the "ingredients" used by your company to calculate prices on auto insurance coverage. This is not an all-inclusive list, as each company that insures vehicles in Alabama will have their own specific ratings factors.
- Marriage brings a discount - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount when buying car insurance. Marriage means you're more mature and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Extra coverages can waste money - There are a lot of add-on coverages that you can buy when buying car insurance. Coverages for roadside assistance, towing coverage and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. They may seem good at first, but if you don't need them eliminate them to save money.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save - Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Older drivers pay less - More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Youthful drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- What are your deductibles? - Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, or theft. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your car insurance will be for coverage.
- Liability insurance protects assets - Liability insurance is the protection in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates - Just one moving violation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have dangerous citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the Alabama Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Equipment add-ons that lower car insurance rates - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention features such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart auto theft.
Take advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not list all their discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less for coverage than less cautious drivers.
- Sign Early and Save - Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Organization Discounts - Affiliation with a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance for coverage.
- E-sign - Certain companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy online.
- Resident Student - Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and don't have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- One Accident Forgiven - A few companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven't had any claims prior to the accident.
- New Vehicle Savings - Insuring a new car in Mobile can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
For a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Mobile, click here to view.
Car insurance ads bend the truth
Companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive continually stream ads on television and other media. All the ads have a common claim about savings after switching your coverage to them. How can each company claim to save you money?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of customer that is profitable for them. For instance, a driver they prefer might be a mature driver, has no tickets, and has a short commute. A customer who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential insureds who don't meet the "perfect" profile will be quoted higher rates which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "customers that switch" not "people who quote" save that much money. That's why insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. This emphasizes why it is so important to get as many quotes as possible. It's just too difficult to predict which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone's needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in my state?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required minimum liability coverage?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local Mobile insurance agent, simply complete this short form.
More effort can pay off
We just covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on car insurance in Mobile. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the best prices are with the smaller companies.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests, not issuing a premium refund or even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, switching companies can be easier than you think.
When shopping online for car insurance in Mobile, don't be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.