How to Find Cheaper Montgomery Auto Insurance
Having to pay for overpriced auto insurance in Montgomery, AL, can take a big chunk out of your savings account and force you to make sacrifices. Comparing price quotes is a smart way to cut your insurance bill.
Alabama consumers have many car insurance companies to choose from, and although it's great to have a lot of choices, it can be more challenging to locate the cheapest rates.
This article will help you learn how to effectively get price quotes in order to compare premiums between different auto insurance companies. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy.
But Alabama car owners must comprehend how the larger insurance companies price insurance differently and take advantage of how the system works.
Find Better Rates with These Tips
It's important that you understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper auto insurance rates in Montgomery.
The list below includes some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums - Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Marriage pays dividends - Having a spouse can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other translates into being more mature and responsible and it's proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs - If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Car insurance companies in Alabama give better rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Don't get talked into coverage you don't need - There are quite a few add-on coverages that you can buy on your policy. Things like roadside assistance, towing coverage and term life insurance are examples of these. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but if they're wasting money remove them from your policy.
- How your age affects price - Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Youthful drivers have a tendency to be more careless in a vehicle therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. This is why teen driver insurance in Montgomery is so expensive.
- Don't cancel a policy without a new one in place - Not having insurance can get your license suspended and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time.Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Alabama motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Theft deterrents lower rates - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart your car from being stolen.
Montgomery Auto Insurance Quote Comparison
There are a variety of methods to compare auto insurance quotes, but one way is more efficient than others. You can waste a few hours (or days) talking about coverages with insurance agencies in Montgomery, or you could use online quoting to maximize your effort.
Many insurance companies are enrolled in a marketplace where insurance shoppers submit their information once, and each participating company returns a rated price for coverage. This saves time by eliminating quote requests to each company.
To find out how much you're overpaying now click here to start a free quote.
It's important when getting insurance quotes that you compare exactly the same information for each price quote. If you have differing limits it will be impossible to determine the best car insurance rate in Montgomery. Just a small difference in insurance coverages may result in large price differences. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes gives you a better chance of getting the best price.
Cut your premium with these eight discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but a few must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Good Student - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Military Discounts - Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government - Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off for coverage with certain companies.
- Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Discount for New Cars - Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
It's important to note that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn't quite work that way. But all discounts will cut the cost of coverage.
Comparing rates from local Montgomery insurance agents
Certain consumers would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find better rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local agencies is important particularly in Montgomery.
Once you complete this quick form, the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Montgomery who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. How's that for easy! You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
The difference between Montgomery insurance agents
When finding a reliable agent, there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Agents can either be captive or independent.
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but rather can write business with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When shopping rates, it's recommended you contact several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below are Montgomery independent agencies willing to provide price quote information.
Robinson Bryant Insurance Agency -
1521 Mulberry St -
Montgomery, AL - (334) 356-3638
Thompson Insurance, Inc. - 3300 Gatsby Ln - Montgomery, AL - (334) 277-8970
Jim Horne Insurance Agency, Inc. - 3711 Atlanta Hwy - Montgomery, AL - (334) 244-0600
The Mitchell Agency - 1320 Carmichael Way - Montgomery, AL - (334) 279-6667
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. These agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Montgomery that can give you price quote information.
Allstate Insurance - 4722 Woodmere Blvd - Montgomery, AL 36106 - (334) 274-0126
State Farm Insurance - 61 Market Place - Atlanta Hwy - Montgomery, AL 36117 - (334) 272-8423
Farmers Insurance - Sue Raybon - 2143 Taylor Rd - Montgomery, AL 36117 - (334) 272-9266
To view a complete directory of auto insurance agents in Montgomery, please view this page.
Selecting an insurance agent should depend on more than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- How are they compensated?
- How long has their agency been in business in Montgomery?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Once you have answers to your satisfaction to your questions as well as a affordable price, most likely you have located an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Progressive, Allstate, State Farm and GEICO regularly use ads on TV and radio. All the companies have a common claim about savings if you move your policy. But how can every company claim to save you money?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a driver they prefer could possibly be over the age of 40, has no prior claims, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don't meet the requirements will be charged more money and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is "customers who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. This is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
That is why you absolutely need to compare many company's rates. It's just too difficult to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
It's not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there is no "best" method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Alabama?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent.
Much more information about auto insurance in Alabama can be read on the website for the Alabama Department of Insurance. Visitors are able to report car insurance fraud, file complaints about a company, and read industry bulletins.
The best Alabama car insurance company isn't always the cheapest
We've covered some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.