Would you prefer to buy cheaper car insurance rates in Birmingham, AL? Birmingham shoppers have many options when shopping for the lowest priced Ford Fiesta insurance. You can either waste hours calling around to get rate comparisons or utilize the internet to compare rates. There is a right way and a wrong way to buy car insurance and we'll show you the proper way to get price quotes on a Ford and obtain the cheapest rates.
If you are already insured or need new coverage, use these tips to buy cheaper auto insurance and still get good coverage. This information will teach you how to compare rates easily. Vehicle owners only need an understanding of the fastest way to shop their coverage around online.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer price comparisons in Birmingham, AL. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Fiesta insurance, insurance is mandatory in Alabama but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Alabama these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Fiesta has a loan, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially for larger claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Birmingham overpays more than $820 a year so it's important to compare rates every year to ensure rates are inline.
Don't overlook these nine Ford Fiesta insurance discounts
Car insurance companies don't always publicize all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Fewer annual miles on your Ford may enable drivers to earn cheaper rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Options like air bags can get savings of 20% or more.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers that enable driving data collection to monitor driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Discount for Life Insurance - If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower premium rates if you buy a life policy as well.
- Early Signing - Some companies reward drivers for switching companies prior to your current Fiesta insurance policy expiration. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Paperwork-free - Some of the larger companies provide a small discount get Birmingham car insurance digitally online.
- Distant Student Discount - Kids who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Birmingham can get you a small discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Driver's Ed - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you won't be that lucky. Any amount of discount will definitely reduce your policy premiums.
A list of companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has savings for anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include accident-free, good driver, annual mileage, multi-policy, ease of repair, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including early shopping, switch companies, mature driver, homeowner, multi-car, and bundle discounts.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for paid in full, good student, safe driver, company car, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for preferred payment discount, safety features, new graduate, teen driver discount, exclusive group savings, multi-car, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for safe driver, homeowner, anti-theft, teen safe driver, and accident prevention training.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, and good student.
- USAA includes discounts for multi-policy, new vehicle, defensive driver, safe driver, loyalty savings, and annual mileage.
When quoting, ask each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts might not be offered on policies in your state. For a list of providers with discount auto insurance rates in Birmingham, click here.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agents
A small number of people still prefer to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Most agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheaper premium rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the quote information gets sent to agents in your area that can give you free Birmingham car insurance quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you would need to visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Birmingham?
If you want to use a local Birmingham insurance agent, you should know the different agency structures that you can choose from. Birmingham agents may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can provide insurance policies, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents normally can only provide a single company's rates and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. These agents are well trained on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Birmingham that are able to give price quotes.
- Melvin Humes - State Farm Insurance Agent
1429 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Boulevard - Birmingham, AL 35203 - (205) 252-4944 - View Map
- Dean Pappas - State Farm Insurance Agent
5510 US-280 Ste 206 - Birmingham, AL 35242 - (205) 995-9413 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Pete Russell
5971 Chalkville Mountain Ln - Birmingham, AL 35235 - (205) 655-2500 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not employed by any specific company so they can write business through many different insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If prices rise, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When searching for an agent, you definitely need to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection. A lot of them also have access to less well-known companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below are independent agencies in Birmingham who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Tyler F Watts
2015 Kentucky Ave - Birmingham, AL 35216 - (205) 822-5477 - View Map
- PAC Insurance Agency Inc
518 19th St N - Bessemer, AL 35020 - (205) 426-9885 - View Map
- Alabama Public Automobile Insurance Agency, Inc.
625 38th St S - Birmingham, AL 35222 - (205) 324-0406 - View Map
Upon getting positive responses to these questions as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can adequately provide insurance.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
When choosing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Everyone's situation is a little different.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
If you're not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It's fast, free and can help protect your family.
Information about specific coverages
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Liability auto insurance
Liability coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. Liability doesn't cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as attorney fees, repair costs for stationary objects, medical expenses and legal defense fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Alabama requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but it's recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
This coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird, a broken windshield and vandalism. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like dental work, funeral costs and EMT expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
This pays for damage to your Fiesta caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like colliding with another moving vehicle, backing into a parked car and crashing into a ditch. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Fiesta to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
More affordable car insurance in Birmingham can be purchased from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who don't offer online quoting and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
In this article, we presented many ideas to shop for Ford Fiesta insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. You may even discover the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Additional information can be read at these links: