Are you trying to find more competitive car insurance rates in Birmingham, AL? Birmingham shoppers have a choice when shopping for the best price on Toyota Corolla insurance. They can either waste time calling around to get rate comparisons or use the internet to get rate quotes.
There is a better way to buy car insurance and we'll show you the proper way to quote coverages for a Toyota and find the best price possible from Birmingham insurance agents and online providers.
Lowering your car insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. All you need to do is spend a little time to get quotes online from several insurance companies.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in Birmingham, AL. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Alabama minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific location information which can modify insurance rates substantially.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The diagram below shows the comparison of Toyota Corolla premium costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The price estimates are based on no accidents or driving violations, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no definitive formula to stop paying for comp and collision coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's say your Toyota Corolla book value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $500 annually to have full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where dropping full coverage is not advised. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Should you raise deductibles?
The diagram below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can raise or lower Toyota Corolla annual premium costs for different age groups. The data is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Annual premiums for males compared to females
The example below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Corolla insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Do you qualify for discounts on Toyota Corolla insurance in Birmingham?
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might already qualify for some discounts that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to monitor vehicle usage by using a telematic data system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
- Accident Waiver - This one isn't a discount, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Student Driver Training - It's a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Distant Student Discount - Any of your kids who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Multiple Vehicles - Purchasing coverage when you have several vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
To see car insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Alabama, click here.
You may want advice from an insurance agent
A small number of people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision Good insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you may find cheaper auto insurance rates and still have a local agent. Buying insurance from local insurance agencies is especially important in Birmingham.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to companies in Birmingham who can give free rate quotes for your business. There is no reason to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Agents are categorized either independent or exclusive. Either can write car insurance policies, but we need to point out how they differ since it can affect the type of agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it's a good idea to compare quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the best price comparison. A lot of them also have access to small mutual carriers that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Listed below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Birmingham that may be able to give cheap rate quotes.
- Alabama Insurance Shop
800 Corporate Pkwy #100 - Birmingham, AL 35242 - (800) 645-8058 - View Map
- Alabama Insurance
3499 Independence Dr # 102 - Birmingham, AL 35209 - (205) 414-6008 - View Map
- PAC Insurance Agency, Inc.
3408 Lorna Ln - Hoover, AL 35216 - (205) 823-2037 - View Map
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers frequently buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand legacy rather than low price.
The following are exclusive insurance agencies in Birmingham willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Pat Lowe - State Farm Insurance Agent
2830 Crestwood Blvd - Birmingham, AL 35210 - (205) 956-3276 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Pete Russell
5971 Chalkville Mountain Ln - Birmingham, AL 35235 - (205) 655-2500 - View Map
- Melvin Humes - State Farm Insurance Agent
1429 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Boulevard - Birmingham, AL 35203 - (205) 252-4944 - View Map
Selecting an car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Birmingham?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
How You Can Control Toyota Corolla Insurance Rates
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but other criteria are more transparent such as whether you are married or your commute time. One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that come into play when calculating your insurance rates. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower premium levels.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount - Lots of companies will award lower prices to customers that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it's still a good idea to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most. Consumers may save even more even if you insure with multiple companies
- Premiums are high for teenagers - Mature drivers are shown to be more cautious, tend to file fewer claims, and are safer drivers.Teenage drivers are statistically shown to be inattentive when driving with friends so insurance rates are higher.
- Males pay more for insurance - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don't assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Males and females are in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more major tickets like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Male teenagers generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high insurance rates.
- Five star crash test rating saves money - Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims and lower rates for you. If your Toyota Corolla is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- Toyota Corolla statistical loss data - Companies analyze the history of losses as a tool for profitable underwriting. Vehicles that are shown to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher premium rate. The table below illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Toyota Corolla vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is considered to be 100. Percentage values below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate more frequent losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Toyota Corolla Vehicles
Specific Toyota Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Corolla 133 111 94 156 158 128BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though it can be expensive, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Alabama these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will require you to buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender will be forced to insure your Toyota for a lot more money and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your Toyota Corolla and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $810 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Cover all your bases
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can lower your Toyota Corolla insurance auto insurance rates in Birmingham. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Birmingham car insurance quotes. You may even find the best auto insurance rates are with the smaller companies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don't buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where an insured cut physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent, high prices or even delays in paying claims. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is easier than you think.
More detailed car insurance information is located by following these links: