Finding more affordable rates for insurance can seem to be quite difficult for drivers new to comparing prices online. Drivers have so many options available that it can easily be a challenge to lower your prices on insurance.
Astonishing but true, almost 70% of drivers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never quoted insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Tuscaloosa could save almost 40% each year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched.
Smart consumers take time to price shop coverage once or twice a year because insurance prices fluctuate regularly. Even if you got the best quotes on insurance on your last policy the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about insurance because it's time to teach you the only way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
When quoting car insurance, remember that comparing more rates from different companies will increase your chances of finding a better price. Not every company provides online rate quotes, so it's recommended that you also compare prices from them as well.
The following companies offer price comparisons in Alabama. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,136||$568||$95|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$1,258||$629||$105|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,154||$577||$96|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$1,128||$564||$94|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$920||$460||$77|
|GMC Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,106||$553||$92|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$972||$486||$81|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,008||$504||$84|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,600||$800||$133|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,160||$580||$97|
|Kia Optima LX||$1,006||$503||$84|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,270||$635||$106|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,108||$554||$92|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,212||$606||$101|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$940||$470||$78|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Alabama minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in specific Tuscaloosa garaging location which can impact premium rates noticeably.
Physical damage deductible comparison
The information below illustrates how your deductible choice and can influence Ford F-150 insurance rates for each different age category. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate comparison of men versus women
The illustration below shows the comparison of yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers in Tuscaloosa. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Toyota Corolla XLE.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is which comprehensive and collision deductibles to buy. The rates shown below outline the differences in price when you choose different insurance deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $100 deductible for physical damage and the second pricing table uses a $1,000 deductible.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$290||$524||$338||$20||$100||$1,297||$108|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$618||$338||$20||$100||$1,429||$119|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$710||$422||$24||$126||$1,635||$136|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$618||$338||$20||$100||$1,429||$119|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$618||$338||$20||$100||$1,429||$119|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$364||$710||$338||$20||$100||$1,557||$130|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$364||$710||$338||$20||$100||$1,557||$130|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$160||$276||$338||$20||$100||$894||$75|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$326||$338||$20||$100||$966||$81|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$374||$422||$24||$126||$1,128||$94|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$326||$338||$20||$100||$966||$81|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$326||$338||$20||$100||$966||$81|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$202||$374||$338||$20||$100||$1,034||$86|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$202||$374||$338||$20||$100||$1,034||$86|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Alabama minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in vehicle location which can impact price quotes noticeably.
Using the data above, we can ascertain that using a $100 deductible costs roughly $40 more each month or $480 for a full year than selecting the higher $1,000 deductible. Because you would pay $900 more out of your own pocket with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you go at least 23 months between claims, you would most likely save money if you decide on a higher deductible.
How to decide to raise your deductibles
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$123|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $83|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$40|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $40|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||23 months|
One important issue to know is that raising deductibles to get cheaper rates results in having to pay to pay more out-of-pocket if you have a claim. That will necessitate some extra funds in the event you need to pay more to get your vehicle repaired.
Tuscaloosa insurance discounts
Auto insurance companies don't always publicize all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of some of the more common and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using when you buy Tuscaloosa auto insurance online.
- Anti-theft System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Driver's Education for Students - Teen drivers should participate in a local driver's education class as it can save substantially.
- Seat Belt Usage - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Some larger companies give discounts for switching companies before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Memberships - Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Active Military Service - Being on active duty in the military may lower your rates slightly.
- Claim Free - Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Tuscaloosa auto insurance quote when compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- College Student Discount - Any of your kids who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The best insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple autos, student away at school, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, and passive restraint.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include mature driver, business and professional, pay in full, electronic funds transfer, and multi-car.
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, federal employee, daytime running lights, military active duty, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, and membership and employees.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, TimeAway discount, early bird, good student, accident-free, and bundled insurance.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, business or organization, accident-free, good student, family plan, and anti-theft.
- Progressive may include discounts for good student, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, and multi-policy.
Double check with each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. Savings might not be available to policyholders in Tuscaloosa. For a list of insurance companies who offer online insurance quotes in Tuscaloosa, click here.
Insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Alabama these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, most banks will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Tuscaloosa overpays more than $850 per year so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When choosing insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really isn't a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- How high should deductibles be on a vehicle?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Am I covered by my spouse's policy after a separation?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form.